Local services & support
Somerset has many local services, support groups and activities for people with Dementia and their carers, such as memory cafes and singing for the brain.
For information on the local services provided by the Alzheimer's Society please go to their website. You can also find information on other activities in your local area by using our 'Find services' directory.
More resources on NHS Choices
- Worried someone has dementia? If someone you know is becoming increasingly forgetful, encourage them to see their GP.
- Living well with dementia If you have been diagnosed with dementia, or you are caring for someone with the condition, remember that there is advice and support available to help you live well. There is more advice and information provided by the Alzheimer's Society
- Staying independent with dementia People with dementia can remain independent for some time, but will need support from family and friends.
- Activities for dementia Keeping up an active social life is key to helping someone with dementia feel happy and motivated.
- Communicating with people with dementia Dementia will gradually affect the way the person communicates. Learn more about their ability to present rational ideas and to reason clearly will change.
- Coping with behaviour changes in dementia Advice on what to do if the behavior of someone with dementia become aggressive, suspicious or difficult to deal with.
- Looking after someone with dementia If you have dementia, or you are looking after someone who does, you will experience a range of practical issues. You can find information and advice to help you on the Alzheimer's Society and AgeUK websites.