Text size:

Managing at home

Care and support assessment

If you have a care need that significantly affects your wellbeing, for example, with your personal care, staying independent and keeping safe, you can ask someone from Social Care to talk with you, and the people who matter to you, and together explore different ways to help you. 

This is called an assessment. It includes finding out: 

  • what difficulties you have
  • what you think you need or would like to achieve
  • the best ways of achieving these things
  • who helps you now
  • what you can do for yourself
  • what things you can't manage now, but with some support may be able to do in the future
  • what things you can't manage at all 

With your permission, Social Care may ask other professionals, such as an occupational therapist, physiotherapist or district nurse, to talk with you as well. 

At the end of your assessment they can help you to write your care and support plan. This will list the things you want to achieve, who will help you achieve them and what equipment could help you. 

Social Care may be able to provide some short-term help to enable you to regain your independence. They will also tell you approximately how much they think it will cost to meet any longer-term care and support needs, and if you are eligible for financial help from the Council. 

You can find out more on the Information Sheet B4 - How to get good advice about equipment and adaptations and on the Somerset County Council website.